Start your day with a cup of hot ginger chai and delicious Rava Upma and I’m sure you will feel fresh and stay full for a long time. Upma is a very popular and delectable Indian breakfast recipe. It is literally ready in minutes and can be further enriched with ingredients of your choice.
It can be a great way to incorporate a number of vegetables like carrots, peas, green beans etc. in your diet, so if you have picky kids who just won’t have anything green unless it’s candy, give this recipe a try.
P.S. If you don’t have pre-roasted rava packet, you can roast the raw rava ahead of time, so that your Upma is ready in minutes.
Here is the video and printable recipe of Rava Upma –
- Semolina / Rava - 3/4 cup
- Urad Dal - 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2-3
- Curry leaves / Kadipatta - 6-7
- Asafoetida - A pinch
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Chopped Carrot - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
- Hot water - 2 cups or as required
- Yoghurt (optional) - 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - 1 teaspoon
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander/cilantro for garnish
- If you have raw semolina / rava, roast it for 3-4 minutes till it turns golden. Set it aside. You can also get pre roasted semolina / rava from the store.
- Heat some oil in a pan & add urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and chillies. Roast the dal for 2-3 minutes till it becomes golden in color.
- Add asafoetida, chopped onion, chopped carrot and saute everything for a minute.
- Mix in the chopped tomato.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the roasted semolina gradually while mixing it in.
- Mix in the salt and sugar.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Uncover the upma and mix in the lemon juice.
- If you want the upma to be softer you can add some more water or add some yoghurt in step 5.
- Garnish it with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
- To serve it the way seen in the picture, wet a small bowl and pack in the upma till the rim. Unmould it on a plate and serve hot.
If you like this recipe please share it and do subscribe to my website.
To subscribe to my youtube channel click here