Paneer Makhani also known as Paneer Makhanwala or Paneer Butter Masala is a delightful Indian dish starring the pillowy Cottage Cheese/Paneer.
Tender pieces of Paneer are cooked to perfection in a silky tomatoey sauce. The sauce can also be used to make Butter Chicken. This recipe is truly simple to execute and hardly takes any time.
So give it a try, I assure you that you will stop ordering it at the restaurant and make it at home every single time!
Here is the video Recipe-
- Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 5-6 cloves
- Tomatoes - 3-4
- Fenugreek Leaves - 1 teaspoon
- Honey - 1.5 tablespoon
- Green Chili/Thai pepper - 1*
- Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon*
- Garam Masala - 1/4 teaspoon
- Green Cardamom Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Paneer/Cottage Cheese - 10 ounce slab or as required
- Butter - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh cream - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro
- Chop onions and tomatoes in cubes & ginger and garlic into fine pieces.
- Add oil to a pan and once it heats up add cumin seeds.
- Add ginger and onion to the pan and sauté for a minute.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn soft.
- Once cooked set the mixture aside.
- While the tomato onion mixture is cooling , in a separate pan add 1/2 tablespoon butter and lightly fry paneer with a little salt and red chili powder.
- Get a nice brown sear on both the sides of paneer and set it on a plate to cool.
- Once cool enough, cut the paneer in small pieces of desired size.
- Grind the tomato-onion mixture into a purée.
- In the pan used for cooking tomatoes, add remaining butter and chopped chillies.
- Add the ground tomato purée to it.
- Add the red chili powder, green cardamom powder & garam masala and cook the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add water to get the gravy to the desired consistency.
- As the sauce comes to a boil, add fenugreek leaves and honey to it.
- Stir in the cream and cook till well combined.
- Add salt to taste & mix in the paneer/cottage cheese.
- Stir the paneer/cottage cheese lightly and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and some cream & serve it with rotis parathas or rice.
- *You can increase the number of chillies and red chili powder amount to make the gravy spicier.
- To make it lighter on calories you can substitute heavy cream with light cream or milk and skip the butter.
Hope you try and enjoy the recipe.